Movie Review – Deadpool

Historical blog posts from Laneth.com
Laneth
The Neth
The Neth

Movie Review – Deadpool

Post by Laneth » 9:58 pm - Fri Aug 17, 2018

Fans have been dying for years to see a proper portrayal of the “Merc with a Mouth” on the big screen, and boy did Marvel deliver!

After Deadpool goes on his killing spree at one stage in the film, he sniffs the smoking barrels of his pistols and sighs in pleasure, saying, “Oh yeah. I’m touching myself tonight!” THIS is the Deadpool we were hoping for!

The wise-cracking mercenary anti-hero character Wade Wilson, aka Deadpool, finally got his own film, and no punches were pulled it seems. (Even my non-Marvel-movie-enjoying housemates agreed that this was a bloody awesome film!)

It’s no secret that I’m a Marvel fan, having seen all the MCU movies to date in the cinema upon their release (the 2008 ‘The Incredible Hulk not being counted on my list), and am quite opinionated on my personal Facebook profile about the trailers, rumours, and other tidbits that get thrown to us as scraps to a salivating horde. I am okay with this, I’ve made my peace that I am to be Marvel’s bitch for at least the next 5-20 years (haha!).

I must admit to going into this film excited, but kinda uneducated about Deadpool and his comic-oriented mythos. I’ve a lot of die-hard friends who read comics and such who would balk at my admission, but I don’t care. Truth is always best, and ridicule bedamned!

The only Deadpool exposure I’ve had over the years has been either second-hand from friends, or through the Deadpool game that came out in 2013, which was pretty awesome. It contained a fourth-wall breaking storyline, on top of his regular quips and things, and they were able to do a lot more with the characters in the Marvel universe as it wasn’t a “screen property”, so you got to see Deadpool interacting with other mutants like Wolverine, Cable, etc.

There was no shortage of snark and witty banter in the 2013 Deadpool game!

The appeal of the Deadpool character is due in part, I think, to an instinctual desire by older readers to have a more gritty, realistic, yet clown-y character. One who isn’t afraid to swear, to get his hands dirty, and to cross a line that many other characters wouldn’t.

Wade Wilson / Deadpool may have started as a bit of an in joke between the creators, perhaps as his design is practically a stolen concept from DCs Deadshot (Slade Wilson? No relation…), but he has grown into a hugely popular fan favourite, whether that be comic, animated, game, or film form.

This film has paved the way, despite being given the necessary R-Rating, for even more comic/cartoon-based film adaptations, and it looks like both Marvel and DC aren’t going to slow down anytime soon. With their projected film rosters tentatively set (Marvel, DC) for the five-or-more years, I don’t think we’re going to see the end of Deadpool and his friends.

Now is where we get to the spoilers! Click away if you haven’t seen the film, and/or simply don’t want to hear me talk about its contents / plot.

Basic synopsis, in my words.

When the film opens, we are the camera, gliding through a 3D freeze-frame of some carnage that we will come to see a short way into the film, once Wade ‘becomes’ Deadpool.

The credit titles are humorous in that they don’t actually list proper names or titles, but things like “Some Douchebag’s Film” in lieu of the Director’s name, and “Starring God’s Perfect Idiot“, etc. There’s even a copy of the 2010 People magazine, sporting Ryan Reynolds as the ‘Sexiest Man Alive‘. This is summed up best by our motor mouthed merc himself when he says,
A fourth-wall break, inside a fourth-wall break? That’s like, sixteen walls!
Opening scene is of Deadpool bored in the back seat of a taxi, being driven by a character we meet several times named Dopinder, (played by Karan Soni). Personally, and I know I’m getting ahead of myself here, I found this whole Dopinder thing in the film to be the only awkward thing script-wise. I mean, I like that we get to see how Deadpool gets around and that he can kinda be an alright guy to general people, (despite stiffing Dopinder for his fare), but it just felt shoehorned into the film plot. (No offence Karan, your performance was great. Just…your character was just a weird inclusion, and distraction.)

Anyways, back on track.

Remember when I said that we’d get back to the scene that was freeze-framed in the opening credits, which happens after Wade becomes Deadpool? Yeah, well, technically that is correct. However while watching the film, we haven’t hit flashback territory yet to establish his ‘origin story’. So, yeah. Whatever, we’re doing it now.

After counting down his remaining bullets through acrobatics and amazing accuracy, the henchmen are dead and then Deadpool kickstarts the rewind button to a year earlier, giving us the warm and fuzzies by introducing his friend Weasel (played by TJ Miller) and his eventual girlfriend Vanessa (played by Morena Baccarin).

Morena Baccarin as Vanessa Carlysle, AKA Copycat, and Ryan Reynolds as Wade Wilson, AKA Deadpool

They have lots of sex, we get to see more of Morena than I ever thought I would (not that I necessarily wanted to, just pointing out a fact), and then the movie punches us in the guts just after Wade proposes. Cue scenes of him at the hospital, them bickering about his survival chances and that ‘they can work it out’, etc. Touchy-feely goodness to get the waterworks crankin’. Worked for me.

Wade is then approached by some guy called “The Recruiter” (played by Jed Rees) who takes him to the facility wherein we meet Ajax (played by Ed Skrein), the film’s main protagonist. All seems innocuous at the start, until Ajax reveals his hand and locks Wade in some bullshit glass case that removes enough oxygen that he can kinda just breathe but his body is in ridiculous distress. This causes the latent mutant healing factor to be unleashed, but the stress makes it react with the cancer cells, basically making him a giant walking tumour.

In amongst all of that happening, we have flash-forwards back to the present, wherein Deadpool is on the bridge and is after Ajax, however he escapes thanks to the intervention of Colossus (played by Stefan Kapicic) and Negasonic Teenage Warhead (NTW) (played by Brianna Hildebrand), two mutants from Professor X‘s School for Gifted Youngsters.

Colossus fails to convince Deadpool to join the X-Men, who exits stage-left even into a garbage truck passing below them. Oh, I forgot to mention that he escaped Colossus by cutting his own hand off, which was left in the handcuff, giving Colossus the finger. Classic.

Skip ahead past a bunch of filler, some of which is amusing, we get to the point where Wade had tried to (finally) go see Vanessa, but was still too scared of what she’d think of his looks. His hesitation caused her to get kidnapped by Ajax et al, sparking Wade to go nuts, grab all the guns he owned, and then convince Colossus and NTW to help him get Vanessa back.

Big fight scenes, lots of jokes and blood and unrealistic (comic-esque) escapes and manouvers. “Good guy” wins, gets the girl, and still stiffs the X-Men cos he’s just too badass.

Ultimately, this film is worth the praise and adulation that it received. It was really well shot, the visual effects were (mostly) amazing. The scripting and performances were excellent. Only a few clunky moments, but overall it stuck the landing.

I’m giving this film four out of five Kiris!
Laneth Sffarlenn

“As a spirit schooled to power, his perception stems from one absolute. Universal harmony begins with recognition that the life in an ordinary pebble is as sacred as conscious selfhood.” ― Janny Wurts, The Curse of the Mistwraith