2005 - 2006 ~ EB Games

A adventure through my employment history.
Laneth
The Neth
The Neth

2005 - 2006 ~ EB Games

Post by Laneth » 2:58 pm - Wed Aug 08, 2018

While I was working at Subway, I spent much of my time on breaks and before/after shifts hanging out in my local EB Games.

I've always been a gamer, though not the kind of gamer that plays multiplayer / online games. For some reason - thankfully - I never really saw the appeal of the basic premise games that mostly involved repetitive gameplay modes, missions, etc. but I digress.

I found that I was able to relate to the staff that worked there, and my best friend and former housemate was working in one of the other relatively close stores so it was almost like we were still hanging out.

I spent so much time in the store that I learned what it was the staff tended to do at various times of the day, and how they would arrange store shelves. I even helped some nights as they were closing and I was just waiting for my bus home, etc.

It got to the point where the manager and I were talking one day and he basically told me that the next position he had free I could consider "basically mine". He left before he could fulfil that promise, but the incoming store manager was the 2IC at the time and he and I were already mates. He upheld the promise and I started working there. Some thirteen years later we're still friends, which is pretty awesome.

He taught me all I needed to know to be a decent sales rep in the store, and we were both lucky (in my opinion) to have left the company before their crazy KPIs and new sales tactics become enforced across the board. Additional merchandise lines started taking up more-and-more store space towards the end, and then EB Games Australia started a specific store called Zing! Pop Culture to capitalise on their peripheral sales lines - they still sold merch in EB, but not as much as they used to. Customers wanted games and consoles and hated the "up sell" in EB, which is why Zing! is still doing so well.

This was the only job wherein I'd have KPIs until I started at William Buck in 2018, despite there being a difference in how they are measured and implemented. I would often out-sell other staff on all things but consoles, which were the big ticket items that the company rewarded (obviously, because they were hundreds of dollars in sales rather than single-sale games, etc.)

I would eventually leave this job because my partner at the time and I would move into a new home that required me to have a more stable and higher income.
Laneth Sffarlenn

“As a spirit schooled to power, his perception stems from one absolute. Universal harmony begins with recognition that the life in an ordinary pebble is as sacred as conscious selfhood.” ― Janny Wurts, The Curse of the Mistwraith